Saturday, September 24, 2011

Hop Season 2011 in the Books

Today was the official end of my first hop growing season. I'm not even sure I can say that I grew hops this year. I grew bines, but got zero cones. I have to admit I'm pretty disappointed, but oh well, we'll try again next year.

In preparation of 2012, I made some changes to my beds. After cutting down my bines today, I dug up the root bulb. I then build up the beds with 2 courses of Castlewall stone. To try to condition the soil better, I added a bunch of peat moss to help break up the clay as well as some quality potting soil.

With the hops raised up, this should drain water much better. After I got them in the ground, I put a nice layer of peat moss over top of them to give them a blanket for winter.

I was sad to cut the bines down. With each snip I hoped that I was doing everything right to give them the best chance for some form of harvest next year. I just have to remember, they are pretty hardy plants and are build to survive. I (as well as mother nature) may have not given them the best conditions this year to flower, but I'm sure as hell trying my hardest to get them ready for next year.

1 comment:

  1. Rich,
    I was worried the first year I cut my vines down, but everything came back just fine. Hops are like weeds. I've been told that if you ever decide to get rid of the vines 'good luck'. Any way, after harvest I usually let them 'dry out' for a week or two and then cut them back to about a foot or so off the ground. We don't freeze here so I don't have to be too picky. I usually throw a layer of steer manure around each plant for the winter.

    ReplyDelete