Sunday, January 6, 2013

Not so Robust, but Pretty Brown.

A few weeks ago I posted about a Porter I brewed. I think the beer came out well and folks who've tried it have enjoyed it. But its not as robust as I expected based on a previously batch. The first time I made this beer it was pretty roasty and even borderline stoutish. As it aged the roastiness faded some and it became a truer robust porter. A nice beer overall.

To compensate for some of that roastiness this last batch, I decided to add the roasted grains toward the end of my mash to extract the color but maybe not as much roastiness. Mission accomplished. However, I don't believe I have a robust porter anymore.

I plan to enter this beer in my club's next competition . To see if it fit the Robust Porter category, I did a side by side comparision with Smuttynose's Robust Porter. Right off the bat, I can smell that the Smuttynose was much roastier. The head was also much tanner even though the color of the beer was near identiccal. To the BJCP guidelines I went.

On reading the Robust Porter guidelines it was clear to me I should not enter this beer as a Robust Porter. The Brown Porter guidelines though seemed very close. In reading the Comments section of the Brown Porter, it actually highlighted the differences I was seeing in the two beers side by side.

I've learned two very important things from this batch of beer.
  1. Minor tweeks in your mash schedule can have signficant impacts especially when using dark grains.
  2. If entering a competition, be sure to enter a beer into the category of the style the beer finished as, not as the style it was intended .
Having judged several competition, I've seen how people ignore #2 because of either, not knowing, not caring or just being flat out being stubborn since they planned their beer to be a certain style. I've put in the comments section, "would be better in 'X' style category". I've seen it in Porters and with IPAs. Either the Porters are more brown than robust (like in my case) or the IPA's come up short on hop aroma (maybe Pale Ale vs. IPA?).

I know if I entered this beer as a robust porter I'd get dinged for not being roasty enough. So as a competition tip, enter your beer in the category the finished beer as, not in the style you may have intended to brew. Some categories have fine line.







2 comments:

  1. If you think its even remotely close enter it in both. I brewed a Robust once that after it was done seemed to be somewhere between a Robust and a Brown. I entered it in both and took a medal in both. This can be a double edged sword however as I once entered a Pale Ale that was borderline IPA in both categories. The Pale Ale judges said it should have been entered in IPA and the IPA judges said it should have been entered as Pale Ale. Either way both experiences ended in good feedback....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott. I don't think it's close enough to do both. It's less roasty, sweeter and thinner body than I think could score well enough for a robust porter. As I tasted it and read the guidelines I thought it nailed the brown. So if a judge follows the guidelines, it should score well for brown.

    ReplyDelete