Monday, February 21, 2011

Kegerator

My co-worker gave me his Haier Kegerator. He said it wasn't running anymore. I took it because I figured I could at least take the CO2 gauge, faucet, shank and maybe craiglists the rest. I gave him a 12 pack of homebrew for it. Well I plugged it in and like he said, it wasn't working. However, I wasn't satisfied with that. When plugged it, there was a click, the compressor started and then it stopped a few seconds later. This continued over and over and over. I figured there had to be a cause for this.


So after a bunch of hours of research online, I believed that I found that the problem was the relay and overload switch. So I went to my local appliances parts place and picked up a new univeral relay/overload for $15.50. Got home, changed it out and ta da, a working kegerator!!


So for a 12 pack of homebrew and less than $16, I now own something that retails for $600+.


It shows that with the internet, if you are slightly handy, you can fix almost anything.

If you are having a similar issue that after you plug it in you just hear a click, the compressor starts and then stops a few seconds later its a good chance that it is the relay and overload switch. My Haier kegerator has an LG compressor (MA53LBCM) which has separate pieces for the relay and overload. But I purchased the Supco Relay/Overaload Combination (model R081) which is a single unit to replace the relay and overall (two separate pieces) on the frig. I used this website to make sure I had the wiring correct for my LG compressor www.lg.com/global/download/brochure/rec_comp_catalog.pdf If you do not have an LG compressor, look for your model online to get the specs and wiring.

9 comments:

  1. I had this exact same thing happen to my Haier Kegerator (exact model compressor as you) this past weekend. After reading all the horror stories of this particular brand, I thought I was SOL. I will try your solution today and, fingers crossed, will have the same outcome as you. Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, this is exactly why I posted it so that it could hopefully help someone else. Good Luck and let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wouldn't by chance remember how you wired it? lol.. I can fix the heck out of a server but electricity... not my bag of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before doing anything, make sure it is unplugged...duh.

    Did you purchase the same Relay/Overload as me? Did you remove the old relay and overload?

    If so, you should see 3 pins on the compressor. The new relay/overload should have 2 black whites with nothing on the end and then a black, white and red white with clips on them.

    Take either one of the 2 black wires with nothing on them, and connect it to the black wire from the power supply. Connect the other black wire with nothing on it to the black thermostat wire.

    Now you should be left with only the black, white and red wires with the clips on them. For my configuration, the pins looked like an upside-down pyramid. So I had a white wire on the top left, red wire on the top right and then the black wire on the bottom (single) one.

    If it starts, the compressor and it get REALLY hot, you have to move wires around. See the PDF I reference above for possible configurations. But you said you have the same compressor as me so hopefully that is it.

    Hope that makes sense and helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I soooo owe you a good pour of draft my friend!!! THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW... I went with the R041. It's been off for a few days but still at 59 degrees. Hopefully it won't take too long to cool back down. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad it's working!! I went with the RO81 cause the folks at the applicance parts place said they though I should do with the replay for the smaller horsepower. But if you got it to work, I bet you are just fine.

    BTW, how did you find this post?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully it will stay working. I found your blog by a random Google search. I knew it was either a blown compressor or the relay. So I searched for "Haier Kegerator replace relay" and you were #4 in the rankings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always wondered why I have this odd (and rather useless) gift of finding four leafed clovers. I can be driving down the road and at times spot them, and it makes my husband crazy when I am walking along and stop and pluck them up. Even a few of my friends think I am a fruit for my "skill". My bible has several of my finds pressed in it's pages.
    Tonight I randomly googled "four leafed clovers". I stumbled across your blog, and would have skimmed it and moved on except for finding brewing rather interesting too, and began to read a bit--that is when I came across your bio. at the bottom of the page. A few things clicked. My gift for finding four leafed clovers was preparing me for my husband, (born on St. Patty's Day) and my now 8 year old son; born with Down Syndrome....I love the analogy you had about your daughter. Thank You for making my night!!!

    ReplyDelete