Sunday, December 9, 2012

Drink Local - Support Craft Beer "Sellers"

Though I love everything about homebrewing, I admit that compared to some of you, I've been less passionate about the craft beer scene. I don't check-in every beer on Untappd or drop everything to go try the newest "must have" beer on tap. I do however admire craft brewers that make that leap from homebrewing to pro-brewing.

I've recently decided that I'm going to start writing a business plan for a brewery. Part of my 10 year plan? Perhaps, or maybe just the daydreams of a guy that loves to brew.  I truly don't know. Writing down every detail into a structured format as it comes to me is a discipline that will help me in other aspects of my career (I shared a document I wrote with my group’s VP about how the retail energy business is similar to the craft beer industry and he loved it!).

As I started my business plan research, it gave me a new appreciation for the professional craft brewer, or really what they are -- craft beer sellers. They are not in the business of making beer; they are in the business of selling beer. Anyone can learn to make beer, but not everyone will be fortunate enough to successfully sell it.

I also now appreciate the phrase "Drink Local.” I see people post it on Twitter and I never really gave it much thought. But when you think about what it means, it’s incredibly important. It goes beyond trying the new local  beer just to try it; it’s about supporting local/regional business over the long-term. Every time you buy a pint/bottle of something local, you play a role in giving that brewery the chance to brew (or actually sell) another day. No different than supporting a "mom-and-pop" restaurant vs. a nationwide chain.

As quickly as craft brewers are popping up around the country, there is the unfortunate reality that many of them will fail. And likely, they didn’t fail at brewing beer, they failed at selling beer.

This awareness now changes how I will drink craft beer. When I have the opportunity to go out, or when I travel, I make every attempt to purchase at least one local/regional beer. It is very easy to play my part in supporting the local craft beer seller.

If you have friends that are scared to drink anything that doesn't say Bud, Miller or Coors on it, buy them a local craft beer to try. I have successfully changed minds of people and maybe you can too. By doing this, you not only open their mind to a whole new world of beer, but you also support local businesses.

There are tons of ways to find local breweries. I've found PubQuest and Craftbeer.com to be pretty helpful when travelling.

If you happen to be in Cincinnati, here's a list** of local breweries to support:

Blank Slate Brewing
Rivertown Brewing
Mt Carmel Brewing
Triple Digit Brewing
50 West Brewing
Great Crescent Brewery
Christain Moerlein

**I hope I didn't forget anyone! Let me know if I need to add any!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment