Sunday, December 11, 2011

Carboys, Why?

I used a carboy for the first time today. A co-worker gave me a 5 gallon one a while back but I never used it. I like the ease of buckets and using the carboy today confirmed that. The carboy is being used to secondary a cider that I plan to age for a few months before kegging. To clean it was a pain in the butt. The previous owner left some stuff behind so I had to rig up a wash cloth on the end of a bottle brush to try to scrape it out. Wasn't that easy. Also, I was also terrified of dropping it when it was covered with soap.

The work it took the clean and the fear of scattering glass seems not worth using a carboy for a normal 2-3 week fermentations. During that time you will have no issues just using a plastic bucket. They are so much easier to clean and no fear of breakage. I can see using carboys for longer-term storage as I am with this cider, but unless I'm in a pitch for space (which usually isn't an issue), I don't ever plan to use a carboy. I know some people may give me crap about that, but hey, that's just my opinion.

1 comment: