Sunday, October 23, 2011

CMI Oktobersbest 2011



Last night was my first CMI Oktobersbest Competition. I entered 3 beers (Cream Ale, APA & Milk Stout) and unfortunately I didn't place with any of them. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed after coming off my first place Amber Ale at Dayton DRAFT's BrewFest. However, the real reason I enter is to get feedback. And so far that feedback has paid off. I've entered that Cream Ale into two competition now and my score increased from 29 to 35. I'll keep working that recipe until I either win something or my score doesn't improve.

The highlights of the evening were the special guests. Three time Ninkaski winner and author Gordon Strong stopped by to judge the competition as well as hang out for the award ceremony. I wish I would brought my copy of "Brewing Better Beer" for him to sign.


(Gordon Strong - center)


Besides Gordon Strong, Greg Koch, CEO of Stone Brewing company was in town on this book signing tour and stopped by to give out some of the awards. He was there only a short time but it was pretty neat for him to stop out. We took a CMI group picture with him and I hope to get a copy of that.

Overall a good evening. Another great competition to enter if you are looking for one. It continues to grow and I can't wait to see what they do next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment