Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hops - 2011 - Hanging by a String

Now that the rains have stopped the hops have really started to grow. With the growth, I've strung them up.

There's a matching configuration on the other side fo the swing.

The Tettnang seems like it may be struggling from being too wet. There are a few shoots, but one has already died off and unfortunately the best looking shoot is starting to yellow from the bottom up.....boooo! I'm hoping with the heat this week the ground will dry out and the other few shoot will take off. Until the ground dries, I'm not going to assume it is anything else but the VERY soggy ground.

Above is the Tettnag. Look at the slight yellowing on the lower leaves on the left plant.


The Mt Hood continues to be the best plant. Tons of shoots and a lot of activity.
Stands just shy of 2 feet I'd say.


The Cascade is the new hero plant. This is definitely growing the most aggressive in the last few days.

The Willamette was the slowest to break ground and is by far the smallest plant. One of the shoots has done well in the last few days so I'm hopefully this variety has made its turn toward thriving.

And for your viewing pleasure, here's the starter I was cooking up while I took the hop pictures. More on this brew day after the weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment