Friday, April 8, 2011

Hops - 2011 - Mt Hood / U.S. Tettnang

Been pretty warm and wet here in Cincinnati the last couple of days and that was enough to kick start the first set up if rhizomes I planted. The US Tettnang already had some sprouts when they were given to me, but now the Mt. Hood has broken ground and I swear grew in the 3 hours from when I got home and then took this picture.

Mt Hood breaking ground.



US Tettnang had a great start with a few sprouts before putting it in the ground and it is already growing more.


The weather continues to look unseasonably warm into next week so hopefully that will help the Cascade and Willamette along.

4 comments:

  1. Mine just started coming up as well. They will grow very fast and before you know it you'll have to wrap them around some twine.

    PS...if you have a dog or neighbors have dogs make sure to have a fence around them. Hops are extremely poisonous to dogs. It will cause hypothermia if they eat them and can be fatal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I'm not worried about the dog because she has never messed with any kind of vegetation, I was still planning to put up some fencing this week now that that they have broken ground. I'm more worried about keeping the kids out then the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! I caught on to your blog via the Northern Brewer forums. I've been dreaming of brewing beer and am about to buy an equipment kit and start. I planted hops before ever brewing (go figure) and just started them recently. Wanted to say I enjoyed reading your blog. I'm a gardener at heart and thought that hop growing would be fun. Keep the updates coming on your hops!

    Chris/SolomonsCommune

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, glad you enjoy the blog. I'm doing my best to share my brewing related experiences and have hoped people found it interesting. So I'm happy someone else beside me reads it.

    Definitely get ahold of some equipment and start brewing, you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete