Tuesday, August 9, 2011

First Repitch of Slurry - BOOM!

I did my first pitch from slurry this past weekend. I had just shy of 200 ml of yeast in mason jars and using Mr. Malty I figured I'd need to use around all of it based on age and yeast concentration, etc. I made a starter just a few hours before to kick start it but didn't want it to fully ferment out, just wake them up a little. First off, that starter took off very quickly. I did it around 12 hours before pitching into my wort, next time i may only do it around 6 hours before.

So I pitched it into my wort on Saturday night. On Sunday night, around 24 hours later, I go down to check on it before going to bed. I had it in a controlled chest freezer to control the temps. I open the freezer and I have a mess! I had around 5.5 gals of wort when I pitched and I know I was a little high for the bucket. So the krausen apparently back filled into the airlock which then stopped all C02 release. I have a 9.5 stopper in my lid so I can look in, take measurements, etc. The pressure build up blew the stopper out like a cork. I cleaned up the mess, not too bad. Next morning, same thing! When I got home from work later that day the airlock was filled and there was krausen leaking from the stopper but didn't blow it off.

A few lessons learned:
1) Repitching slurry works
2) Don't overfill a fermenter
3) Make a starter later in the day if at all.

I definitely plan to try repitching again in the future. We'll see how it goes next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment