Sunday, June 12, 2011

Ranco ETC-111000 Wiring

A few weeks back I was able to score a chest freezer off Craiglist for $25. Less than 10 years old, works fine and the previous owner just had no use for it and wanted it out of the way. Even though I have a Haier Kegerator, it only houses 2 kegs (had to convert it from one, http://fourleafbrewing.blogspot.com/2011/03/kegerator-upgrade.html) and I'd like to be able to have at least 4-5 beers on tap. When I convert this chest freezer, that will allow me to do so.

However, you can't just put kegs in the freezer, they will freeze....duh! So you need a way to override the thermostat. That is where a temperature controller comes in. I decided to go with a Ranco ETC-111000, unwired. I bought one on Ebay for under $50. Now it was time to wire it.

I will save you all the details of the wiring in my blog cause someone else has already done an excellent job.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?644-Ranco-ETC-111000-000-120V-Wiring-Guide


The only thing that I did differently was I used a power strip vs. just a female end of an extention chord. Honestly, didn't have any great reason to do that way, just saw that is what others have done and I figured the extra protection of the strip couldn't hurt.


If you have basic electric skills (i.e. installing/changing outlets, putting up ceiling fans or lighting, etc) you'll be able to do this project. As always with electric, BE VERY CAREFUL and read all the directions fully before you try this. Sorry, but I can't be liable for any damages just because you got the idea from my blog and you do this project at your own risk.

I plan to have the chest freezer converted and a collar built in the next few weeks (got the collar idea/specs from BYO's winter issue). I'll post details of that project after I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment